When the French returned on October 21, 1800, their troops made requisitions, devastation of fields and thievery. Carpenedolo contributed also to the Napoleonic wars, by providing both men and foodstuffs to the army and, especially, by paying onerous taxes.
The Austrian rule was quite peaceful, ravaged only by a severe famine and by cholera between 1836 and 1855. The interlude of 1848, started with the establishment of the civic guard on March 22, did not cause particular commotion in the town. Carpenedolo lived instead hard times in 1859, because of the proximity of the battlefields of S. Martino and Solferino. The township and especially churches and palaces were transformed into a large military hospital. Angelina Zecchi and other compassionate nurses took care of the wounded. Afterwards, especially in 1866, the town witnessed new passages of armies and on June 23 of the same year, a stopover of Garibaldi.
The Kingdom of Italy
On September 10,1878 and in 1890, Carpenedolo witnessed the win of Umberto I. But the town suffered terrible years of scurvy, pellagra and intermittent fevers, especially due to the "Fossa Magna" and the poor living conditions, until new works of sanitation and the economic and social development of the country brought better living conditions. In 1884, a popular democratic club, a catholic workers' association and other socio-economic associations were formed.
Health and education in Carpenedolo
Charity and social assistance in Carpenedolo have always been promoted by generous benefactors. In 1575, Diodato Laffranchi built a shelter for the sick poor and orphans, which later became a hospital with an orphanage, thanks to other bequests (Don G.B. Scolari, Don Giuseppe Mancabelli, Lorenzo Marini, etc.). The charitable organization Baliatico (1895) and the orphanage Girelli (1856) were also started up.
As regards education, in 1500 the community opened a school of grammar and arithmetic and in 1859, the Municipality opened an advanced course.
In 1907 – 1908, an elementary school was opened and other school buildings were built in the downtown and in the surrounding hamlets. In 1868, Don Egidio Cattaneo opened a boarding school which lasted until 1872, while the Daughters of the Sacred Heart opened a girls' boarding school. In 1874, a nursery school was also opened.
Agriculture and industry
Mostly surrounded by a barren gravel campaign, Carpenedolo was able to develop economically and socially with tenacity and intelligence. In 1690, the “Lame” land was contracted out and in 1750 large tracts of land were divided among the inhabitants, with the creation of the “Masserie” (farms). The provincial representative G. B. Meli supervised the reclamation works. He was a great painter, land-surveyor and plumber and he built canals and drinking troughs, starting a great work of reclamation and agricultural progress.
At the same time the number of mills increased: in the 16th century there were two mills, in the 19th century five. The production of seed oil also developed through different millstones now disappeared. In 1600, there were already seven kilns which employed many workers.
In 1700, the silk industry developed. The first spinning mill was opened by Lorenzo Ercoliani in 1756. Others were opened in 1757 by Stefano Callegari, in 1769 by G.B. Pari, in 1776 by Bortolo Bellini. In 1800,the number of raises and spinning mills moved by the waters of Lametta or Fossa Magna increased, thanks to the companies Molteni, Astori, Azzi, Boselli, Erba, Dell’Oro then Gatti, which took over up to 300 spinners.
A new bridge over the Chiese river built in 1877, the tramway built in 1911, the continuous improvement of the road network gave a fresh stimulus to economic life.
In 1900, the “Cattedra Ambulante di Agricoltura” (walking chair of agriculture) gave a fresh stimulus to agriculture, thanks to professor Moretti. The crops were extended and rationalized, fox grapes were introduced and the sericulture was intensified. Messrs. Compagnoni opened the first textile industry. Don Severino Bettinazzi opened a "Catholic Hosiery factory" which employed 60 workers. The market on Thursday, then on Wednesday, goes back to a disposition of the Doge Luigi Mocenigo on May 28, 1768. It also included a cattle market closed in 1885. The fair of Saint Bartholomew dates back to 1551, the fair of Our Lady of the Castle to 1787.
1 - 2